Friday, November 20, 2009

Polka Dot Fever


Yayoi Kasuma arrived in New York from Japan in the late 1950s, and soon became the city’s avant-It Girl. Her works of art all share an obsession with repetition, pattern, and accumulation, and not to mention are completely mind-blowing. It is safe to say that this lady loves polka dots, which I defiantly don't have a problem with.
I discovered her work about a year ago when I stumbled upon a photo that was titled "Aftermath-of-Obliteration-of-Eternity." This photo made my mouth water and I just had to figure out where it came from. The "infinity room" is one of Kasuma's most popular type of installation and makes it seem like you are in a never ending garden of fireflies, stars, polka dots ect. The photos of the exhibits are breathtaking so I can only imagine how they translate in person.
Give this a gander, you will thank me.
Can she PLEASE bring her magic to Toronto?
"Aftermath-of-Obliteration-of-Eternity" in photo below!

Dots, dots....

and more dots

No comments:

Post a Comment